Wednesday, August 11, 2010

“If you're not greedy you will go far, you will live in happiness too... like the oompa.... loompa.... doompity do.”

I decided to play Voltaan for a while last night. I had intended on heading out for a harvesting session but guildies were running a Library instance and asked me if I would like to go along. I know they wanted Adurj along really but I kinda wanted to play Volt as I wanted to put him through some of the instances he hasn’t done yet (most SF ones). When I joined the group we had another Bruiser, albeit 90th level as a tank, Llucky was the name. He seemed nice enough, but a bit quiet perhaps. No big thing that, the rest of us were guildies.

Anyhow, we kill one of the named , and I can’t even recall who it was but they dropped Zulfiqar’s fabled belt. It is a level 90 tanky belt item, nice for Brawlers and in fact quite a sweet item. Naturally we both rolled ‘Need’ and I won. Straight away came the indignant statement in group chat from Llucky, “they can’t even wear it”, to which I replied “yeah, for like 2 days”. Llucky went on to say “that’s why you should never take two tanks in a zone”. And that was it, nothing more said, Llucky wasn’t a douche about it and it was me who brought it up again, not Llucky.

The reason I brought it up again was quite simply I am no nonsense and very impatient where other persons moaning sessions come about, especially if you throw a bit of greed in too. Don’t get me wrong, I know I moan myself about things sometimes. In fact it’s one of the reasons I dislike moaners, because invariably, I end up moaning about them moaning. Now I realised this initial reaction of Lluckys had got my back up. If I roll against someone and they win, I show politeness and genuine pleasure for them and their advancement. It means the group has won, not just the individual in my eyes. A statement such as “Grats” would be issued and I would be genuinely pleased for them...not “they can’t even wear it”.

How about some good manners in game? I’ve preached this before. If I had been level 82, I could totally understand, but I’m like 1 level and 50% off 90. In my mind there is no reason why I shouldn’t roll on it as ‘Need’. Coz I will need it, not mute it or sell it, but need and use it...in a few days. Anyhow, that simple comment wound me up. Why? Well I had had a pretty rough day and there was a nasty incident that makes you think about life and death, about what’s important. I’m not going to go into detail as to what that was, but knowing what I knew and how someone had suffered terribly that day, it just got my back up that a few hours later I had to listen to someone moan about some digital pixels not dropping their way. Kinda felt out of perspective.

So, what did I do? I can remember what is important in this life, what holds value, and it ain’t some pixels on a game, I can tell thee. If Llucky wished that item so much that it was going to piss them off not to get it, even for a moment and they cannot see or feel genuine pleasure for someone in their group getting advancements instead of them, hey what the hell, I petitioned it. Let them have their belt if it’s important to them.

Llucky was very grateful and thankful, stating “Thanks, but you didn’t have to do that”. All in all they were ok about it and I hope it brightened their day a bit getting an item they obviously really wanted. Good luck to you Llucky and, following on from my post yesterday, not bad tanking for a Bruiser.

Thought I had finished with my moan? Well, seeing as this is my blog, we’ll call it a discussion, and there’s more :)

I’d like to comment on the second thing Llucky said. “That’s why you never bring two tanks to a zone”. I didn’t pick up on this at the time. But what a crock! So, let me get this right, a Ranger and an Assassin can never group together? Throw in a Swashy? Ooo, no, not in the same group. God forbid some group members may actually have to roll against each other. I’m sorry. I’m aware it’s a little petty, but the whole attitude kinda wound me up. Of course same archetypes or even the same class can run a zone, unless of course it is a greedy run. My wifey did Cella the other day with 3 Coercers in it (They ploughed through it btw). The only reason you would start crafting your groups around loot rolls and so you ensure you are the only tank, and there is only one healer, and only one scout, blah, blah, blah...is because you are greedy. You want more stuff and you want it quickly. Not an issue with that as I’m aware it’s different strokes for different folks. If you are like that or have that attitude, good luck to you. But I’m happy I’m not that mercenary and can clearly see the important things still. Like, instead of worrying about loots...I had fun in the zone. I enjoyed spending time with our friends. Simple. Some give-eth in life, and some take-eth away. Amen.

I guess I should say [As an afterthought it seems – Ed] that just because I have my opinion, it does not mean I am correct just as it does not mean Llucky was wrong. I may have over-reacted here in summising the event. I mean all Llucky said was two sentences. But, that didn't matter to me, the die had been cast, the general attitude of 'I want I want I want' always winds me up.  All I’m saying is I personally prefer those who operate with teamwork in mind and if the group wins, we all win, rather than the “I’m here for myself” attitude. As a very good friend of mine said to me a few days ago “Love is love bro”. Couldn’t have put it better myself.

As a quick juxtaposition, I was wondering around The Hole last night after the Library instance with Voltaan attempting to locate the spot where the enervated update is near The Spiral, when I came across a couple of folks who were duo-ing down there. Turns out they were after the same thing and they let me join them. On top of that the waited patiently whilst I logged Adurj and got him there to two box him and Volt as they both needed the update. Not a word of moaning, just friendly help offered and genuine pleasure and grats when I got my updates. Thank you Sulena and friend. You were most gracious and courteous to a complete stranger. I very much appreciated your help and your sterling attitude.

Be well.

3 comments:

  1. That was a very good read my man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost forgot,

    "What do you get when you gobble down sweets, eating as much as an elephant eats?"

    "I don't like the look of it!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heheh, you recognised the reference!!

    Thanks man, as ever, appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete