Monday, June 28, 2010

A whole new world

ME. Medical Examiner? Maine? Millennium Edition? Master Earthdog? [Wha..? Eh? – Ed]. Nope. Mass Effect. I mentioned a few posts ago that my Bro had sent me a copy via STEAM as a gift and I finally finished downloading it by Sunday lunch time. I didn’t get to indulge though until last night as we had a BBQ at the outlaws during the afternoon to watch the football [The less said about that the better – Ed].

So, evening time comes and it’s my first try at the game. Admittedly quite an oldish game, especially as the sequel is out and available. It really doesn’t show it though. I may be a bit out of touch concerning any games that are not an MMO on the PC as I usually play one person FPS or RPG games on the PS3 but the presentation of Mass Effect is really good. I found it to be one of those games that you just ‘click’ with. Everything seems to be in the right place and not once have I found myself searching for keys after the first time I familiarised myself with the controls. Like I say, everything just seems to be in the right place.

So far I really like it. The plot is extremely addictive and the fact that I found I had played the game for about 4 hours without a break kind of gives you an idea how addicted I was. The game play is good, but the thing for me is the plot and the side missions. Great fun, amazing depth to the game and it really does keep you guessing. I think my wife got bored of hearing me exclaim “What the hell’s going on?” as the plot thickened and progressed.

I’m currently in the main citadel (the hub for civilisation in the Galaxy) after completing the intro plot, carrying out some side quests there and progressing the main plot line. At the moment I’m trying to expose a ‘Spectre’ (Spectre is a black ops unit that answers only to the ruling council) as being behind an attack on Eden Prime, a human settlement. It’s frustrating. I know Saren (the Spectre) is bad because I’ve seen the cut scenes! Unfortunately I can’t go to the council with that as evidence, so that’s how I am spending my time at the moment. Making allies and digging up information in the Citadel to try and expose Saren to the council for what he is.

I guess I haven’t made too much progress, but I’ve got so immersed in the plot and locales that I do seem to spend a lot of time investigating absolutely everything and that takes time. I have no idea how big the game is so am in no rush to plough ahead and find out by rushing things. As long as I stay interested, I’ll take the game at a pretty relaxed pace. I guess I’ll find out more tonight, but as it stands, Mass Effect gets a big two thumbs up from me. Thanks Bro!

Be well.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're enjoying it! As far as the size of the game goes, it will probably take around 20 hours for the main story quest (called "Missions" in game) and possibly up to 40 hours if you do all the side quests (called "Assignments").

    ReplyDelete