Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Techie woes..

Computers are fun huh? When they work. Last night when I was playing and exploring EQ2s new addition, Halas, my computer just shut down. No pops, bangs or other warnings, just a shut down. Now when I start my computer there is nothing, just dead. The power light flashes orange on and off. This probably means it’s a hardware problem and more than likely it’s the PSU.

It may be a coincidence but this happened about 10 minutes after I turned on EQ2s new 3.0 shader in game. The graphics were great. A little jerky even at lower settings, but I thought I’d persevere with it whilst I explored Halas with my buddy Jahf taking screenies for my blog. Sadly, all those screenies are on my frazzled computer and I can’t get access to them to post them. As soon as I do get it up and running again, I’ll pop some piccies up of the new starter area, Halas. Anyhow, back on subject. I’m not sure if turning on the shader 3.0 did do anything to overcook my computer but I doubt it. Probably just a powerpack issue.

The problem I have now is that Dell PCs need very specific parts and as such I need to get the full details of my PSU to ensure I replace it with the exact same voltage and wattage. I don’t think it’s likely that I will get this fixed soon. It’s probably going to take more than a week to get my hands on the right pack.

Another thing I have been considering is the fact that the computer came from the UK but I plug it in to Spains very dodgy electricity. It may be I need some form of power regulator just to ensure the flow in to the system is constant. Who knows? Guess I’ll see.

One thing that is concerning me is that even if I get a new powerpack is there something else that is helping to fry it? Was the fan working? Without powering up there is no way I can tell if the internal fans are working either. I guess I’ll find out what lasting damage there is or what caused it when I can actually get some power back in to my system.

Anyhow, I’ll keep you posted, but in the mean time keep those fingers crossed for me. You know how chaotic things get when I try to get technical. We’ll see what happens.

Until next time,

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment