Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fellowship of the Fellowship

Apologies for the delay in posting. Work isn’t letting up, in fact it seems to be getting busier. Anyhow, I am hoping for a lull and being able to resume normal service soon. Next week or so.

Until then, a quick one to keep us going [said the Bishop to the Nun – Ed].

I had my first proper Fellowship (group) this last week on Lotro. My Bro and I gathered a Fellowship to assist in the taking back of Weathertop. It was only a small instance where you have to fight your way up the sides of Weathertop then take the top. The highlight of the instance is when a huge Cave Troll climbs out of a cart and attacks the Fellowship and once he is defeated that’s it, instance over.

There are a couple of things I noticed when doing my first Lotro group. One is the ability the group leader has to do a ‘ready check’. I thought this was an excellent idea and can think of soooo many times in EQ2 when it would have been useful. I’ve lost count of the raids/groups in EQ2 where the pull was made, the wipe followed and the excuses thereafter. “I wasn’t ready”, is the cry of the moment. This ready check would eliminate those problems. Basically your leader types in a command and that sends a pop up to you stating, “You’re leader is checking that you are ready” (or words to that effect) and when you are ready, you click “O.K” and the leader gets the message back that you are ready. Once the leader has all the answers back, they know you can proceed. Simplez! [another one on the Meer cat bandwagon I see – Ed].

The other thing I noticed was the time it took for our other group members to get to us. That is one of the bad things about realistic travel I guess. At lower level the rest of the Fellowship is hanging around as the other group members slog it across Middle Earth. I think at later levels a certain class (not sure which) gets a summon ability, which can take out some of that waiting around. But as it stands, it seems grouping sorry, Fellowships involve waiting around for quite a while for members to reach you but then the payoff is usually some great fun with your fellow players. Both the Barrow instance and the Weathertop one I have done have both been top notch for fun and interesting content. More please.


First Fellowship

View from weathertop


Candaiths Camp

The Fellowship went smoothly although the Cave Troll was a big tough guy and stretched our abilities somewhat and it was a lot of fun to finally hang around with some other Lotro players also, even though it was short lived. I am yet to experience a full on dungeon crawl in Lotro. I am not even sure if there are any of that I kind of dungeon I expect in an MMORPG. Like Fallen Gate or Stormhold. I am not sure if anything like that exists in Lotro. I’ll have to ask my Bro. He did send me a list of instances but I am not really sure what they are like from that. I really do hope Lotro has a bit of content like Stormhold or Fallen Gate or Sanctum, or Runnyeye. I simply love those type of dungeon crawls and content. I kinda miss that and wish there was a bit more of it in Lotro. There may be, but I haven’t found it yet.

Be well.

3 comments:

  1. At lower levels the travel can be a pain. Hunters get group swift travels (ports in EQ terminology) at higher levels, and higher level Captains can summon other fellowship members.

    Some camps at the larger instances have mustering horns outside that can be used to summon fellowship members.

    There are some larger dungeon crawl type places. The Great Barrow is the first (and we really should try and get a fs for that sometime), followed by Garth Agarwen, then Fornost. Fornost is a real epic, took us around 6 hours to complete! There are quite a few of them once you hit level 50 as well, such as Carn Dum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. Sounds cool. Will try to head in to GB this weekend if I can :)
    The travelling isn't a pain. Not for me anyhow, just different. I said in my post "one of the bad things about realistic travel". But I guess it isn't really a bad side to it, just one of the many differences of what I am used to in an MMO. In fact the hanging around for the fellowship we had actually allowed me to go and have a smoke and make a cup of tea, instead of disrupting the group with an afk later..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn it, I mean "instead of disrupting the FELLOWSHIP with an afk later.."

    I'll get the hang of the terminology soon ;)

    ReplyDelete